Assistant Fire Chief Chris Gray said.
"There were some towels left on top of the stove and it appears the
towels were ignited," Gray said.
The blaze caused $5,000 in damages, he said.
Glendale officers found several items used to make methamphetamine in
the room, according to a police report. Among the items found were
charcoal lighter fluid, butane gas canisters, methamphetamine, a bottle
of red phosphorous, and a glass pipe usually used for smoking
methamphetamine, police said.
The motel manager told police that a man, accompanied by a woman,
rented the room Wednesday and then another man extended the stay at the
room Thursday, police said.
Glendale police did not release the names of the renters because they
weren't sure if they were fake names, Glendale Police Sgt. Rick Young
"We're very concerned when anyone is setting up a methamphetamine lab
in the city of Glendale. It's very dangerous as was witnessed here,"
It's unusual for police to come across drug labs in Glendale, Young
"But it is our believe that this is becoming more popular," he said.
"Our concern is that more will spring up because some people may see it
as a way to make quick cash."
Young advised residents to call police if they smell an unusual,
chemical odor coming from a motel room or a house because it could be a