history behind the culture of the Armenian republic was woven through the
event's 20 live performances.
Among those performances were international Armenian music and film
artists such as the French-Armenian recording artist known as Yerso, who
sang "Zartong," which translates into the words "awakening" or "rebirth,"
said event spokeswoman Silva Harapeti.
Homage was paid to the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks on the East
Coast, and tributes were given to artists for their work in educating
others about issues such as the Armenian Genocide.
On a stage adorned in a medieval style, images of the oldest Armenian
churches led to illustrations of modern Christian Armenians.
History aside, the goal of the Armenians in Music and Film Assn.,
which sponsored the heavily attended show, was to recognize the best of
current Armenian music.
The 4th-annual award show, presented in English, was a way of sharing
Armenian culture with the world, said it's founder and producer, Peter
Peter Bahlawanian, 31.
"[Armenian culture] has been hidden. It's been in the closet," he
said. "The time is now for breaking all the barriers down."
Through the program, which was fed via satellite to Europe and the
Middle East, Armenians can feel good about themselves while sharing their
history and art with others, Bahlawanian said.
* Best Modern Contemporary Album: "Zartong" by Yerso.
* The Michael Ganian Award: "Caravan" by Haroutioun Ansourian.
* Best International Album: "Giorni" by Jon Varto.
* Best New World Fusion Album: "Khorviarab" by Ara Gevorkian
* Best Original Contemporary Album: "Black and White" by Roamo and
* Best Male Vocalist: Harut Hagopian.
* Best Female Vocalist: Shoushan Petrossyan.
* Best Jazz Fusion Album: "Mountain Dance" by Armenian Jazz Band.
* Best Pop Retro Album: "Love"' By Nune
* Best Classical Album: "Complete Works of Parsegh Ganapchian."
* Best Popular Album: "Asem Te Chasem," Aram Assatryan.
* Best Traditional Instrumental Album: "Echo of the Mountians" by
* Best Chillren's Album: "Playground," Vaco.
* Best Dance Album: "With Friends," Grisha Aghakhanian.
* Best Traditional Album: "Im Iyran Ganche," by Margaret Shahinian.
* Best Album Cover: "Zartong" by Yerso.
* Best Original Song: "Hayrenik" by Soushan Petrossyan.
* Best Newcomer: Irina Malkhassian.
* Favorite Singer Voted by the People: Tata.
* Best Alternative Folk Album: "Yerk" Roupen Hakhverdian.
* Best Compilation Album: "Songs for the New Century, Edgar
* Best Music Video: "Silence" by Sako, directed by Koji.
* Best Television Entertainment Show of the Year: "Demq Show."
* Best Oral Traditional Album: "Musical Relics of Armenia, Hayrik
* Lifetime Achievement Award: Gegam Grigorian.
* Anoush Recognition Award: Jakline. * Anoush Achievement Award:
* Anoush Genocide Award: System of a Down, band.