Supplies, Alsen Cement, and Schilling's Best.
Although the "Glendale Community Book," edited by E. Caswell Perry
and Carroll W. Parcher, has no information on the Verdugo Cash Store,
it does include references to other grocery stores.
In fact, Parcher says one of the most important of the early
arrivals in Glendale was that of W.G. Watson. Watson, with his wife
and young son Thomas, first moved to Pasadena and established a meat
market. In 1895, he moved his business to Glendale.
Eventually he branched out into the nursery and seed business in
partnership with his now grown son. In 1906, they entered the real
estate business, building a two-story frame building at Glendale
Avenue and Broadway.
Prime tenant of the building was the Glendale Hardware Co., which
opened its doors the same year.
Thomas Watson was one of the directors of the hardware store,
which was also a distributor for Union Ice Co.
Next door was the plumbing firm of Eves & Wilkinson, which had
been doing business since 1896.
Another cash grocery, as they were known in those days, stood at
Glendale and Wilson avenues, operated by W.C. Fraley.
The memories of Dorothy Hobbs Smith, daughter of early resident
John Hobbs, who came from Illinois around 1890, are also included in
Smith recalled that her parents set up housekeeping in a home on
25 acres of mostly sand, rock and sagebrush. Their property lay on
both sides of Central, not far from Windsor Road.
At the time, there were four north and south trade routes through
the valley: San Fernando Road, Glendale Avenue, Verdugo Road and
Crossroads were haphazard, she wrote, sometimes starting in the
driveway of one ranch and ending up in another.
Smith told of a tiny, wood building at San Fernando Road and
Central Avenue which housed a post office. Mrs. Bullis was
postmistress and her aunt, Mrs. Logan, was the assistant. On the
other side of the road was Logan's general merchandise store and not
far away was a combined blacksmith, feed and fuel store. In the same
area was T. Funatsu's Japanese store.
Yet another grocery store was in the First National Bank building
on North Brand Boulevard.
It was owned by R.M. Seeley, who also was an agent for the Wells
Parcher writes more about Logan's grocery store, which figured
prominently in Glendale's history, but more about that at a later
* KATHERINE YAMADA is a volunteer with the Special Collections
Room at Central Library. To reach her, leave a message at 637-3241.
The Special Collections Room is open from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. Saturdays
or by appointment. For more information on Glendale's history,
contact the reference desk at the Central Library at 548-2027.