Milwaukee Brewers and Houston Astros, has scored 30 runs and recorded
77 hits. He's collected 14 doubles and two triples.
* Latest News: Loretta, 31, had his season-best 11-game hitting
streak snapped Wednesday against the Rockies at Coors Field. He went
hitless in three at-bats in a 5-3 loss. Loretta began the hitting
streak June 6 against the Minnesota Twins. On Tuesday, Loretta had a
single and scored a run to carry the Padres to a 4-3 victory. He had
a single Thursday in a 10-5 loss to Colorado.
* Looking Ahead: San Diego will conclude its three-game series
with the Mariners on Sunday. Seattle will start Joel Pineiro today
and Ryan Franklin on Sunday. Loretta doesn't have an official at-bat
against the two right-handers.
* Name: Gregg Zaun
* Team: Houston Astros
* Local Ties: St. Francis, class of 1989
* This Season: The 32-year-old Zaun is batting .268 with 19 hits.
He's scored five runs and has registered six doubles and nine runs
* Latest News: Zaun, who helped the Florida Marlins win the 1997
World Series in seven games against the Cleveland Indians, last
competed Thursday and went hitless in one at-bat in a 4-2 loss to the
visiting Arizona Diamondbacks. Zaun recorded a hit and scored a run
Tuesday in a 4-3 victory against Arizona.
* Looking Ahead: The Astros began a three-game series Friday
against the host Texas Rangers. Houston will face pitchers Ismael
Valdes and Joaquin Benoit today and Sunday, respectively. Zaun is 0
for 1 against Valdes.
* Name: Freddy Sanchez
* Team: Boston Red Sox
* Local Ties: Glendale Community College, 1998
* This Season: The Red Sox called the utility infielder up May 31
from Pawtucket of the International League. Despite Friday's game
being rained out against the host Philadelphia Phillies, the
25-year-old Sanchez was batting .267 in 10 games. He has gone four
for 15 with three runs scored.
* Latest News: The 5-foot-11 Sanchez last played Monday and had a
hit in Boston's 4-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox.
* Looking Ahead: The Red Sox will face Philadelphia starting
pitcher Randy Wolf today and Brett Myers on Sunday. Sanchez hasn't
faced the two hurlers.
MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
* Name: Fernando Rios
* Team: Potomac Cannons (single A)
* Local Ties: Glendale High School, 1998
* This Season: Rios, an outfielder, was batting. 272 through
Thursday for the Cannons, who are a Single-A affiliate for the
* Latest News: Rios has produced 34 hits in 125 at-bats. In 36
games, Rios has recorded one home run, five doubles, 21 runs batted
in and five doubles.
* Looking Ahead: The Cannons began a three-games series Friday
against the Frederick Keys.
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
* Name: Pete Vagenas
* Team: Los Angeles Galaxy
* High School: St. Francis, class of 1996.
* This Season: Vagenas, a midfielder who helped the Galaxy win the
MLS Cup last season, has started four matches and recorded one shot
* Latest News: The 25-year-old Vagenas has been bothered by an
abdominal strain and is listed as doubtful for today's match against
the host New York/New Jersey MetroStars.
* Looking Ahead: The Galaxy and MetroStars match will be at 1 p.m.
at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. on ESPN2, channel 57.
Compiled by Charles Rich