Approval of the application, coming nearly six months after the filing, didn't come easy, for neighborhood opposition was encountered. A 54-name protest petition was submitted as 14 area residents testified in opposition. That was in April 1959.
A month later, there was more bad news for the "Y." The County Zoning Board came up with a denial recommendation, contending that the YMCA had failed to show that the property of over four acres was not feasible for residential use, for which it was zoned.
At a special public hearing held in July before the Regional Planning Commission, volunteer attorney Frank W. Doherty for the applicant presented overwhelming evidence of communitywide support of the project. That swayed the commission which voted unanimously in favor of the exception in August.
Included was a petition signed by 3,800 local residents supporting the new facility. The new YMCA, at 1930 Foothill Blvd., opened in December 1961.
St. Francis High
Even though a zone exception with restrictions was approved in 1959 by the county for St. Francis High School to install lights on its football field, it took another four years to settle the matter in face of neighbor objections.
Nearby home owners said they would be affected by the lights, noise from the night games and increased traffic and parking on their streets.
That's why the county added several five-year restrictions to the school's application to give the residents relief.
In June 1963, when St. Francis requested the removal of all of the restrictions, residents protested again with a signed petition. The move by the school was to allow the new, nearby La Canada High to use its football field that year only.