YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollectionsOnramp

Briefly in Public Safety

June 18, 2007

Pedestrian killed on Glendale (2) Freeway

A man died at about midnight on Friday after he was struck by two vehicles while he was walking across the southbound Glendale (2) Freeway.

La Crescenta resident Michael Won Chol Chong, 45, reportedly got out of his stalled vehicle and walked eastbound across the lanes just north of the junction where the Glendale (2) Freeway meets the Ventura (134) Freeway, a California Highway Patrol spokesperson said.


A white Ford passenger car traveling southbound at 70 mph struck Chong when he ran directly into the path of the vehicle, California Highway Patrol spokesperson said.

The collision happened on the No. 2 lane and sent Chong to the No. 1 lane, a California Highway Patrol spokesperson said.

A black Mercedes-Benz car traveling at 60 mph then struck Chong a second time in the No. 1 lane. Los Angeles City Fire Department arrived on scene and pronounced Chong dead at 12:10 a.m.

Four-car collision ties up the 134 Freeway

Four cars heading eastbound on the Ventura (134) Freeway collided just east of the Glendale (2) Freeway junction on Saturday, causing a nearly hour-long backup of traffic.

Los Angeles County Fire Department arrived on the scene at 12:38 p.m. and declared it a non-injury accident, said California Highway Patrol Officer Patrick Kimball.

Tow trucks were dispatched to the scene to take away immobile vehicles and the roadway was cleared by 1:02 p.m., he said.

Congestion on the freeway was so bad that some cars were reported as driving backward on the freeway to exit out of Glendale Avenue onramp, which is about one mile west from where the accident occured, he said.

Burbank resident Jenia Hauser, 35, was on her way to Pasadena via the Glendale (134) Freeway to celebrate her 35th birthday on Saturday. She was one of many drivers on the right-most lane who backtracked to the onramp to avoid being stuck in the traffic, she said.

"We had to turn around and drive backward because it was just stopped," Hauser said. "Everything was stopped."

She and her passengers sat in the car for 15 minutes without moving when she noticed that other cars were moving in reverse to exit the onramp a few yards behind them. One car even turned their car around to reach the onramp, she said.

"First the right lane started backing up, then someone turned around," she said.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles