Metropolitan Water District rate increases, which go into effect Jan. 1, mean rate hikes are in the works for the estimated 32,000 water users in the Crescenta Valley Water District. The Crescenta Valley receives 60% of its water from the Verdugo basin and the other 40% is imported through the Metropolitan Water District. Along with other districts in the region, including Glendale, folks in the Crescenta Valley can expect rates to go up in coming months as water becomes less available and importing water becomes costlier.
The Crescenta Valley Water District staff presented its board with three options for proposed public rate increases – to make up for the district’s expected 5.4% cost increase – at a public workshop meeting Tuesday night at the district office in La Crescenta. The options will be brought back to the Crescenta Valley Water Board in draft form this coming Tuesday night for selection of one option to be sent out to residents in the form of a public notice announcing an increase that would begin in February.