A series of designers have constructed Glendale’s floats over the nearly 100 years since the city first entered Pasadena’s Tournament of Roses Parade.
The first floats (beginning in 1911) were last minute affairs. They were often a city vehicle covered with flowers from local gardens. In 1920, L.W. and Georgia Chobe began a nearly 20-year reign. Lewis Stanley took over after World War II, followed by Sam Coleman.
In the months before the 1975 parade, Coleman Enterprises gave way to a new team, Wayne Herrin and Don Preston, who designed floats for the Portland Rose Festival before making their way to Pasadena. They constructed 13 floats for 1975. One was Glendale’s “Roses — Heritage of Beauty,” which garnered a first place in its class for a cantilevered floral arm holding a lighted chandelier. Miss Glendale Tammy Trim and princesses Lisa Loomis, Rita Shermer, Debbie Stone and Deborah Gangi rode on the float.