LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Friday cited budget and staffing cuts before postponing the sentencing of a Glendale man who pleaded no contest to possessing child porn and an assault rifle.
Appearing frustrated inside his courtroom, Superior Court Judge William Ryan said recent budget cuts to the court system were taking their toll on overworked staff, and said it was the reason he had only just received papers from the defense team for Walter Loustari.
The paperwork had been filed at the downtown court Wednesday.
“I am sorry the courts are so overwhelmed because of the budget crisis,” Ryan said.
Court staffers, he said, were struggling to get documents pushed through because they had larger workloads.
Loustari, an attorney with an office in La Cañada Flintridge, was arrested in October 2008 after Glendale police and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials discovered he had accessed child pornography on the Internet, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.