Cemetery prepares for Jackson visitors

June 09, 2010|By Jason Wells

Fans wishing to mark the first anniversary of Michael Jackson's death will be able to do so at his final resting place in Glendale, cemetery officials said.

A spokesman for Forest Lawn Memorial Park on Tuesday said the plan, expected to be released this week, would set guidelines and restrictions for fans hoping to pay homage to the pop icon.

Access to the Great Mausoleum, where Jackson is interred, would remain prohibited.

The plan was being drafted in conjunction with the Jackson family and an independent fan-based entity, said William Martin, the cemetery's communications director.


While nothing has been finalized, Martin said the rules would minimize fans' impact on others visiting loved ones buried at the cemetery.

No special-event permits had been pulled with the city, meaning there were no plans to provide traffic control, said Glendale Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz.

When Jackson was interred at the cemetery Sept. 3, no fans were allowed inside, but permits were pulled to set up staging areas for a media horde.

The cemetery has been able to contain major events before on the massive property that has an expansive network of roadways, Lorenz said. If no permits are pulled, police would monitor the traffic situation and respond to security calls as needed, he added.

"It's too early for us to assume anything until we see what their plans are," Lorenz said.

Any street vendors trying to capitalize on the event would be arrested and have their merchandise seized, he said.

Jackson died June 25 after a heart attack at his mansion, with the Los Angeles County coroner attributing the cause to a combination of "acute Propofol intoxication" and sedatives.

His cardiologist, Conrad Murray, was charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly administering a lethal dose of Propofol to Jackson, who was under constant watch leading up to a planned comeback tour.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles