The power of the press led Joseph Maier to Glendale. Born in 1845 near Stuttgart, Germany, the young boy read about the California Gold Rush and dreamed of coming to the United States.
He and his wife, Fanny, arrived in 1873. Their two sons, Fred and Herman, were born in Cleveland. After a move to Chicago, Maier read an ad promoting Glendale in the local newspaper, further stoking his childhood dreams of living in California, according to family historian Bob Maier, the fourth generation Maier to live in Glendale.
The Maier family arrived when Glendale was transitioning from a very small settlement into a town. They purchased property in the northern tip of the Childs Tract. (The tract, one of the first real estate deals after the huge Verdugo land grant was partitioned in 1871, was subdivided into 37, 10-acre parcels in 1882, according to Glendale Area History, published in 1981.) They built a house on Oak Street between Adams Street and Verdugo Road and the elder Maier worked as a pattern maker at Baker Iron Works in Los Angeles.