Glendale still had a lot of open land left when a two-story house was built near the corner of Brand and Glenoaks boulevards. The house sat on a large piece of property extending from Brand east to Maryland Avenue and south toward the Verdugo Wash.
The year the house was built is unknown, but the Glendale News-Press reported on May 14, 1957, that it was first owned by a doctor named Brown. The house was purchased in 1911 by another doctor, R.L. Young.
The big flood of 1914 washed away the topsoil on the property, and "the fine stand of oaks which had beautified the place was badly damaged," continued the News-Press. (That flood caused $10 million in damage throughout the Los Angeles basin. Residents seeking relief from recurrent flooding pushed for action, and the following year, the Los Angeles County Flood Control District was formed.