Despite a round of heavy rain Wednesday afternoon, debris basins were expected to hold and the impact of what forecasters called the worst storm in a decade appeared to be far less than feared.
Evacuation orders were lifted 6:30 p.m. Wednesday for as many as 147 homes in La Cañada Flintridge and 85 in La Crescenta. Mostly clear skies are in the forecast for Thursday.
It was a near miss for the Station fire burn area, which had been expected to take the brunt of the storm early Wednesday morning. Instead, coastal cities and regions throughout Orange and San Bernardino counties took the major hit.
"It was really just a blessing," said L.A. County Fire Department spokeswoman Stephanie English.
Despite this, English and other officials on Wednesday called on foothill residents to heed evacuation orders and emergency directives. Just five households agreed to evacuate Tuesday night, officials reported.
"We wouldn't deploy all this for something that wasn't very, very real," English said. "It was a random act of Mother Nature that split those cells off [in other directions] at the last minute."