Del Valle Avenue, in the Verdugo Woodlands area of Glendale, is named for Lucretia del Valle, granddaughter of the owner of Rancho Camulos, one of the original land grants near what is now Piru. She was also an actress, which is what brought her to Glendale in 1917.
Del Valle’s family home, Rancho Camulos, provided one of the settings for Helen Hunt Jackson’s epic novel, “Ramona.” The incredibly popular story of Ramona, daughter of an Anglo and a Native American who was raised on the fictional Moreno Ranch, brought thousands of tourists here expressly to see the “home” of the fictional Ramona.
Many visited Camulos, where the del Valles lived until 1924.
The 48,000-acre land grant was awarded to Antonio del Valle in 1839. He died just two years later and when the land was divided, his oldest son, Ygnacio, received 1,800 acres near the old Indian village of Camulos. He created a prosperous ranch with thousands of head of cattle and acres of orange groves and vineyards. Many of the local Indians lived and worked there, according to the ranch’s website.