Advertisement

[Update] Firefighters knock down Lake Avenue house fire Sunday night

August 29, 2011|By Timothy Rutt, Altadenablog.com
(Timothy Rutt / Altadenablog.com )

A fire in Altadena Sunday night resulting from a smoldering cigarette resulted in minor injuries for inhabitants, but major damage to the Lake Avenue home, Altadenablog.com reported. 

Firefighters were called to the fire in the 2900 block of North Lake Avenue at 10:45 pm. An 87-year-old female resident was hospitalized for mild distress due to smoke inhalation, and her caregiver was treated for first degree burns on her wrist, said LA County Fire spokesman Matt Levesque.

According to the fire report, a company of five engines, a fire truck and paramedic squad found the house ablaze.  Even though there was concern about the nearby houses, it was quickly put out and no other homes were harmed.

The house was judged uninhabitable, Levesque said, and residents declined Red Cross assistance.

The cause was accidental, Levesque said, with combustables near the bed ignited from smoking.  The resident had a history of heavy smoking, according to Levesque.

Advertisement

Besides loss to the structure, about $30,000 in contents were also destroyed, Levesque said.

Read more at Altadenablog.com.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|
|
|