Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollectionsGrapes

Verdugo Views: Winemaking legacy is public park

September 06, 2011|By Katherine Yamada
  • The stone barn on George Le Mesnager's land was rebuilt after the area was ravaged by a fire and a flood. The photo was taken in the late 1930s. (Photo courtesy of Glendale Public Library.)
The stone barn on George Le Mesnager's land was rebuilt…

Inspired by other French winemakers who had already come to California, a young Frenchman named George Le Mesnager arrived here in 1866. He set about acquiring several plots of land, including the large property in the northern reaches of our city which now forms Deukmejian Wilderness Park.

As a new arrival, Le Mesnager, like other immigrants, worked at whatever came his way, from tending sheep to working as a county court translator. At one point he edited a French newspaper.

In the midst of his energetic quest to make his fortune, he felt compelled to return to France to help defend his country in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. When he returned, he again took up the duties of his notary’s office, according to the Los Angeles Times, May 4, 1916.

He married a woman named Conception, a native of Spain, and they had a son Louis, born in 1878. When his wife died in 1892, her funeral was held in the family residence on Mesnager Street, opposite the Southern Pacific railway depot on San Fernando Street, according to the June 12, 1892 Times. Later, he married Marie de Grey, a native of France.

Advertisement

After Le Mesnager purchased the 700-plus acres in Dunsmore and Cooks canyons, he planted the slopes with grapes to supply his winemaking operation, according to Jo Anne Sadler, a member of the Crescenta Valley Historical Society, who has done extensive research on Le Mesnager.

When World War I began, Le Mesnager again felt called to support his homeland. Although he was well on in years, he insisted on returning to France to fight.

Before he left, he deeded his holdings to his wife. While he was gone, his son, Louis, developed the property, constructing the stone barn, a shed, a workers’ cottage and other buildings. The barn was used to stable horses and store grapes before they were shipped to the family’s winery in Los Angeles.

Le Mesnager returned from the war in May, 1919, according to the Glendale Evening News, which reported that he was here to look after his ``extensive foothill property in the extreme northern part of the city and to greet old friends.’’

Prohibition closed down the winery in 1920, as noted on the City of Glendale’s website. Grapes raised on the site were sold to a variety of buyers for non-alcoholic purposes.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|
|
|