Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollections

Assault suspect pleads not guilty

Bail for man who allegedly tried to gouge out another man's eyes set at $1 million.

January 05, 2012|By Megan O'Neil, megan.oneil@latimes.com

A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge set bail at $1 million Thursday for a Glendale man who pleaded not guilty to charges that he attempted to gouge out the eyes of an apparent stranger near a Glendale bus stop earlier this week.

Benyamin Yengibaryan, 51, was charged with attempted murder during his arraignment at the courthouse in Glendale. He remained in custody and appeared via video from the Glendale police station.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 17.

Yengibaryan was arrested Tuesday morning after allegedly assaulting an 82-year-old man at a bus stop at Central Avenue and Windsor Road. Witnesses saw him punching, kicking and attempting to put out the eyes of the victim, according to Glendale police officials.

Advertisement

Yengibaryan was also heard threatening to kill the man before witnesses intervened and called police.

The injured man was transported to Glendale Memorial Hospital where he was treated for a damaged right eye and an array of cuts and bruises.

Officials have said that it appears that Yengibaryan — who may be homeless — did not know his alleged victim.

“Detectives indicate it’s random, unprovoked and deliberate,” Glendale Police Department Sgt. Tom Lorenz said of the attack. “They don’t know each other. He just did not like the guy as they passed each other on a morning walk.”

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|
|
|