YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollections

St. Francis runs out of gas in OT

Basketball: Golden Knights rally to force extra session at Chaminade in 55-48 Mission League defeat.

January 20, 2012|By Andrew Shortall,

WEST HILLS — All the momentum belonged to the St. Francis High basketball team as it overcame a five-point fourth-quarter deficit to force overtime against Chaminade Thursday night.

Unfortunately for the Golden Knights, none of their five shots fell in the extra session, as Chaminade held on for a 55-48 Mission League victory at home.

It was a back-and-fourth affair as the lead changed hands nine times in the game, which also featured two ties, and no team held a lead greater than seven points.


St. Francis co-Coach Ray O'Brien said his team simply got tired out in the extra session.

"We came back in the second half when we were down," O'Brien said. "I think we just expended too much energy getting back. We came out flat in that overtime and it was over."

The Golden Knights (8-11, 1-4 in league) began trading blows with the Eagles in the fourth quarter after being down, 40-35, early in the quarter, which included two lead changes and a tie.

St. Francis' Emerson Castaneda led the comeback attempt by hitting two straight jumpers in the final three minutes of regulation with his team down, 44-40. He finished the game with a team-high 14 points, eight coming in the fourth.

Castaneda's first score came off a jumper at the top of the key with 3:07 remaining to cut Chaminade's lead to two. He came right back down the floor after an Eagles miss and hit a three-pointer to put the Knights up, 45-44, with 2:30 to go.

The Eagles (12-6, 2-3) went back up, 46-45, on a floating layup from Justin Eisen with 2:05 remaining.

Neither team would score again until 41 seconds were left when Castaneda hit another jumper with a defender right in his face to put St. Francis back up, 47-46. Chaminade's Aadit Patel answered back with a wild, twisting layup to give his team the lead with 20 seconds left.

Castaneda went to the line after being fouled on the ensuing inbound play. He made the first of two free throws to tie the game at 48 with 10 seconds left. He missed on the second and Chaminade's Jaron Martin, who had a game-high 18 points, rebounded it and drove up the floor.

Castaneda got back and forced a steal just outside Chaminade's three-point line with 1.9 seconds left.

The Golden Knights called a timeout and drew up an inbound play. They didn't get a good look after having to work the ball up from about three-quarters court as a desperation three-pointer from St. Francis' Noah Willerford was off the mark, sending the game to overtime.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles