YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollections

'Jumping Jay' lives for the free-fall

Jay Fragoso, 72 and retired, works part-time to help finance his parachuting hobby.

February 04, 2012|By Megan O'Neil,
  • Jay Fragoso, 72, of Highland Park and a staffer at Sparr Heights Senior Center, stands with some of his skydiving gear in Glendale on Thursday, February 2, 2012. Fragoso has jumped 2,504 times and has been involved with two world records. (Tim Berger/Staff Photographer)
Jay Fragoso, 72, of Highland Park and a staffer at Sparr…

Walking through the Sparr Heights Community Center in Glendale on Thursday, Jay Fragoso was interrupted mid-stride.

“Jumping Jay,” a guest called out, beckoning him over for a handshake.

It is an appropriate moniker for a man who, at 72, is as comfortable interacting with his peers at the senior center as he is hurtling through the air at 120 mph.

On Jan. 18, Fragoso was part of a 15-person free-fall formation that set a world record for the largest skydiving formation of jumpers over the age of 70.

“What I enjoy is the free-fall,” the veteran skydiver and Highland Park resident said. “The parachute is just a means to get back down to the ground.”

Fragoso joined the Army in 1957 with aspirations of jumping with the Airborne Division. He was disqualified due to flat feet, and didn’t get his chance until decades later. But after making his first jump in 1980, skydiving quickly became a lifestyle.


He has made 2,504 jumps, all logged in neatly kept journals. They include jumps from a hot air balloon and a DC-9 plane, which was traveling at 160 miles an hour and required the skydivers to sprint out the back hatch.

“It’s 40 at a time,” Fragoso said. “When that door drops down and you start running, you hope you don’t fall down because you are going to get trampled.”

He and teammates from the Golden Stars Skydiving Team jumped into a middle school assembly, a rodeo arena and the Rose Bowl. They’ve been the featured entertainment at Memorial Day and Fourth of July events, and shaken hands with their share of powerful politicians upon landing.

There have been a few near disasters. In December 1990, Fragoso and 19 other skydivers survived a plane crash that occurred shortly after takeoff. During a jump the following year, his main parachute failed to activate, forcing him to cut it away and use his reserve. The secondary chute failed to fully deploy, so Fragoso had to manually manipulate the risers.

“When I landed, I got really bruised up,” Fragoso said. “But I went back a week later because I knew if I did not jump then, I wouldn’t jump again, I would quit.”

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles