YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollectionsLoyola

League hopes go awry for Knights

Soccer: With possibility of winning Mission League hanging in balance, St. Francis falls to archrival Loyola, 1-0.

February 08, 2012|By Gabriel Rizk

LOS ANGELES — The late stages of Mission League games have often gone badly for the St. Francis High soccer team this season and the second half of Wednesday’s league and regular-season finale at Loyola may have been the unkindest cut of all.

Despite having seen some winnable games turn to ties on late goals this season, the Golden Knights entered Wednesday’s match two points behind the Cubs for first place and could have locked up the outright league title with a win and some help. Although Loyola had gotten the better of St. Francis both in terms of its own chances and denying the Golden Knights’ offense any good opportunities over the first 60 minutes, the game remained scoreless.

That was until a disastrous sequence that saw St. Francis lose one of its own, sophomore forward Frankie Viega, to a serious injury and give up the game-winning goal all in a span of five minutes to fall, 1-0, its first loss in its last 10 matches.


St. Francis (7-8-8, 6-2-4 in league) fell to second place with the loss, and less than two hours later slipped all the way down to third when Harvard-Westlake defeated Alemany, 2-0, to leapfrog the Golden Knights with a final league mark of 8-3-1. St. Francis was spared further freefall when Chaminade, which rallied to tie St. Francis, 1-1, in the last three minutes on Monday, tied Sherman Oaks Notre Dame, 1-1, on Wednesday. Had Chaminade (5-2-5 in league) won that game, the Eagles and Golden Knights would have been tied for third place with the loser of a pending coin flip taking fourth.

“We’ve been fourth [in league] before and won big games [in the playoffs], so it’s not new to us,” St. Francis Coach Glen Appels said. “We’re going to get a chance to make sure this isn’t our last game.”

It looked quite sure to be the last game of the season for Viega, who was carted off the field in the 64th minute with what Appels speculated to be a broken collarbone after taking a lowered shoulder from behind from the Cubs’ Adam Goldfaden near the Knights’ goal box as goalkeeper Luca Coppola was scooping up the ball.

“We were concerned in the first half, we thought there were a couple of shots that were high that the referee warned people about,” Appels said. “We were concerned it could get somebody hurt, and somebody got hurt.”

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles