Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollections

Verdugo Views: An area radio pioneer is remembered

August 24, 2012|By Katherine Yamada
  • Harry James, right, was active in the Foothill Club for the Blind. In 1946, he arranged a benefit for the club. The man on the left is unidentified.
Harry James, right, was active in the Foothill Club for… (Courtesy of the…)

When Harry A. James died in 1956, his obituary in the Glendale News-Press noted that the chapel of Sacred Memories at the L.G. Scovern mortuary was filled with the many friends he had made during his career in radio, as a recording artist, and later as a very active volunteer in several of Glendale’s leading civic and philanthropic groups.

James, who was born in England, came to Glendale in 1922. He worked in radio and in 1927 helped open radio station KELW.

KELW was begun by Burbank real estate developer Earl L. White, who used his initials to name the station. On the station’s inaugural night, many dignitaries were on hand and no doubt James was on the air. He managed the station for three years. The station soon increased its coverage and at one point could be heard as far away as New York City. For more on KELW, visit www.radioheritage.net.

Advertisement

James also opened a radio station in Santa Barbara for the Columbia Broadcasting System; at the height of his career he was heard on 456 radio stations. Plus, he was a recording artist; his rendition of the Gettysburg Address was released by Brunswick in 1924. You can find out more about this recording on www.authentichistory.com.

James and his wife Alice moved to the 1100 block of Linden Avenue shortly after they arrived here. They were both very active in the community. They helped found the Foothill Service Club for the Blind in 1940 and remained involved in that group for many years. Not only did he serve as executive secretary of the club, he and Alice founded and guided the Cypress Social Club for the Blind in Glendale and the Normandy Club for the Blind in Los Angeles, according to the News-Press, February 2, 1956.

He also served as stage manager of the Glendale Symphony Orchestra Association, remaining in that position until shortly before his death at age 69.

Another local group that benefited from his talents was the Glendale Historical Society. In 1952 he played an important role in installing the first historical marker for the city.

In his dual roles as a director of the historical society and as president of the Old Settlers Society, he presented a bronze monument, marking the home of J.C. Sherer (a significant local pioneer) to Legory O’Loughlin, president of the historical society. The marker still stands at the corner of S. Verdugo Road and E. Windsor Road, on an easement granted to the city by Sherer’s widow, Caroline.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|
|
|