Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy soccer's share called off

Potential goal called off as FSHA Tologs settle for tie, second place.

February 06, 2013|By Andrew Shortall,

WEST HILLS — In less than a minute, cheers of celebration switched from the Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy girls' soccer team’s to Chaminade’s sideline.

It appeared the Tologs had the first goal in the 45th minute of the teams’ Mission League finale off a Hannah Armendariz free kick. The goal was waved off and that proved to be the difference in a scoreless draw at Chaminade Wednesday.

“It’s part of the game, sometimes you’re going to win and sometimes you won’t,” Flintridge Sacred Heart Coach Cesar Hidalgo said. “Sometimes referees have the handle of the game, they make the decisions and it could hurt the result of the game — that’s what this was today, unfortunately.”


While there were a host of other scoring chances for the Tologs, the no-goal call came back to haunt them. Needing a win to lock up a share of the league title with Harvard-Westlake, the tie locked the Tologs (15-2-3, 7-1-2 in league) into second place in league, just two points behind Harvard-Westlake (13-2-3, 8-1-1 in league).

“So, that was a bogus call,” Tologs senior Kayla Mills said of the goal being waved off. “I know that was a goal, but we still should’ve finished the opportunities we were given. It was just really frustrating and very upsetting because we know we should’ve won.”

Armendariz fired a free-kick shot from the top left of the Eagles’ six-yard box off the top crossbar. The ball bounced on the ground and up in the air before Chaminade goalie Chinaar Desai grabbed it.

Three Sacred Heart players screamed and ran to celebrate with Armendariz, as the sideline official ruled it a goal.

“I was happy because I clearly saw the ball go past the line, but as everyone was hugging me I saw the other ref running to the sideline ref, and I was just was wondering what was going on,” Armendariz said.

The head referee went straight to the side judge, discussed the matter for about 30 seconds and waved off the goal, saying the ball never crossed the goal line.

“I was shocked because it clearly went behind the line and some of my teammates said they saw it touch the net,” Armendariz said.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles