Advertisement

Verdugo Views: Remembering a former Glendale first lady

March 08, 2013|By Katherine Yamada
  • The Barnes family at Brad Barnes marriage to Allison Platz. From left, Brads brother, Daniel, his father, Thomas, Brad, his grandparents, Cecelia and Herman, and his brother, Raymond. Photo, 1984.
The Barnes family at Brad Barnes marriage to Allison Platz.… (Courtesy of Brad…)

In 1963, the city’s first lady, Cecelia Logan Barnes, was profiled in the Glendale News-Press by Women’s Editor Betty Preston.

The article, complete with several photos, described her as a glamorous grandmother and a native daughter of the city that her husband, Herman, led as mayor.

Preston wrote that Barnes had a longstanding interest in city government, as her father, the late Oliver C. Logan, “was an inveterate spectator at council meetings and many a former city father remembers the peppery little pioneer, who was more often than not vocal on the civic matters closest to his heart.”

Preston predicted that since Barnes shared her husband’s pride in the city, “she would undoubtedly attend a few council meetings herself.”

Barnes described herself as a wife, mother and grandmother. Her daughter, Carole Allen, had four girls and her son, Tom, and his wife, Vorda, had three sons.

Advertisement

But she had more than children and grandchildren to occupy her. She was secretary-treasurer to the firm of Herman E. Barnes, Inc.; secretary for the Logan Foundation, Inc., and a fiduciary trustee on the board of the First Bond and Mortgage Co.

Between these and her household accounts, she kept five sets of books and wrote checks from nine different checkbooks.

Barnes also enjoyed entertaining, liked to cook and played golf at least once a week.

On top of that, she was active in the Lioness Club and the Women’s Athletic Club’s golf department and the Tuesday Afternoon Club (she started its Mannequin Guild and curated its Maids and Matrons Department). But she had recently cut back because she and her husband liked to travel.

Barnes was born in Tropico to Minnie Bell Andrews Logan and Oliver C. Logan, known to many as “Ollie,” who had come here in 1896 with his parents. They purchased a ranch at what is now Wilson Avenue and Verdugo Road, according to an Independent newspaper on file in the Glendale Library’s Special Collections.

Later, young Logan purchased the Superior Market and peddled meat in a covered sales wagon drawn by two horses.

Logan married Minnie Bell Andrews in 1903 in Los Angeles and the couple moved to this city in 1904, first living on a 25-acre ranch at what is now West Broadway near Columbus.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|
|
|