Advertisement

Verdugo Views: Revisiting the famed Casa Verdugo

August 28, 2013|By Katherine Yamada
  • iedad Yorba Sowl operated a string of restaurants in the Casa Verdugo area, in what is now northwest Glendale, from 1905 until the mid-1930s. Her second restaurant will be featured on this year's Glendale Historical Society tour. (Courtesy of Yorba Family Collection, Courtesy of Glendale Public Library Special Collections)
iedad Yorba Sowl operated a string of restaurants in the…

Piedad Yorba Sowl was a woman before her time. She operated a series of Spanish restaurants in this area in the early 1900s and, in doing so, popularized California Spanish food, contributed to the romantic "Ramona" mythology of Southern California, and created a major tourist attraction.

She also introduced Glendale to Los Angeles and the nation.

So writes Sean Bersell, who has prepared a detailed profile of this remarkable woman as part of the Glendale Historical Society home tour of the Casa Verdugo area in northwest Glendale on Sept. 29.

In the early 1900s, Casa Verdugo was an independent settlement. It was not annexed by the city until 1926.

Sowl was descended from prominent early California settlers. Her mother was the granddaughter of Antonio Maria Lugo, land-grant holder of Rancho San Antonio, and the town of Yorba Linda was named after one of her grandfathers.

She was also related by marriage to our own José Maria Verdugo, who settled what later became Glendale.

Advertisement

Born in 1864, Sowl married Carlos Arguello in 1884 and they had two children — a son, Charles, and a daughter, Viola. Her husband abandoned the family around the time Viola was born and they divorced in 1897.

Left on her own with two children to raise, Sowl opened her first restaurant, El Famoso, in Los Angeles. It was a critical success but she struggled financially because of a lack of capital, Bersell noted.

To make ends meet, Sowl opened her home to boarders and in 1904 married one, a man named Charles Sowl. It was about this time that she got an offer to open a new restaurant way out in the foothills near Glendale.

L.C. Brand had brought the new Pacific Electric Railway here in 1904. The end of the line was at the top of Brand Boulevard, way up in Casa Verdugo, where the railway company had turned an old adobe into a restaurant, hoping to entice people to take the scenic ride out to Glendale.

The adobe was in a large tract between Brand and Louise, bordered by Stocker on the south and Randolph on the north. The railway leased the property to Sowl and she opened the restaurant in January 1905.

It was an immediate hit. News stories and society columns quickly supplied accounts of socially prominent residents, out-of-town visitors and conventioneers who dined out on the veranda or under "the Old Pepper Tree" or in the Adobe Room.

The interior was illuminated by electric lights, which dimmed whenever a trolley came by, Bersell added.

Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|
|
|