For a brief moment back in the late 1920s, Chevy Chase Drive connected the Biltmore resort hotel in Flintridge with the elegant Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The connection? A bus, a De Luxe Parlor Car Bus.
The hilltop resort, first called the Flintridge Hotel, was the brainchild of Frank P. Flint, a retired senator, landowner and real estate magnate, and was designed by noted Southern California architect Myron Hunt, who also designed the Ambassador Hotel.
Known as the father of Flintridge, Flint had opened some 1,500 of his acres for development in 1917. Then he came up with a new idea — a luxury hotel — and by 1926, construction was underway.
Overlooking the San Gabriel Valley and the Rose Bowl — and designed to hold 150 guests — the hotel was estimated to cost $750,000, according to the Nov. 20, 1926, edition of the Glendale Evening News.