Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Glendale HomeCollectionsJury Selection
IN THE NEWS

Jury Selection

FEATURED ARTICLES
LOCAL
January 26, 2006
Jury selection is expected to continue today in the trial of a 37-year-old Glendale man accused of killing his 94-year-old grandmother in March, when he allegedly set her room on fire, Pasadena Superior Court officials said. Antranik Khajarian faces one count of murder with special circumstances of arson, two counts of arson and one count of possessing flammable material for allegedly dousing Arpine Demerjian's room with gasoline, then setting it on fire. Pretrial motions will continue in the case today, a court clerk said.
NEWS
February 16, 2001
Amber Willard PASADENA -- Jury selection is scheduled to start next week in the trial of a boy accused of beating to death two teens on a La Crescenta school playground. Michael Demirdjian, 15, was arrested in July after the bodies of Blaine Talmo and Christopher McCulloch were found on the playground at Valley View Elementary School. His attorney, Charles T. Mathews, has said Demirdjian witnessed the killings but did not participate. Attorneys from both sides agreed Thursday to return to court in Pasadena Tuesday for a pretrial hearing and start questioning potential jurors Feb. 23. Police have called the boys' slayings a "battle" with more than one attacker, but Demirdjian is the only person to be charged thus far. Evidence tests showed six sets of unidentified fingerprints at the crime scene.
LOCAL
July 11, 2008
Jury selection continues in trial Jury selection will continue today in the case against a Glendale man accused of molesting three girls. Attorneys interviewed jurors on Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and are expected to continue today Donald Allen, 52, is charged with 12 felony counts of lewd acts upon a child and three felony counts of continuous sexual abuse. He is booked on $1.5-million bail at a Los Angeles County jail. Allen was arrested Oct. 23 after an anonymous tip led Glendale police to the three alleged victims, who are related to him. The girls were 6 to 13 years old at the time, police said.
NEWS
By Robert Morrison | December 6, 2007
It’s rare that an older Anglo male is the brunt of discrimination, but this did happen to me a few weeks ago. I was summoned to jury service at the Los Angeles downtown criminal courts building. Just minutes before being dismissed from service at the end of the day, I was called for a jury panel that would hear a criminal misdemeanor case against a young minority man, in which the prosecution witnesses would be police officers. During the judge’s questioning of the potential jurors and the questioning by the defense and prosecution attorneys, I was shocked, if not horrified, by the ugly and outspoken bias displayed by some of the members of the jury panel.
NEWS
July 2, 2004
Gary Moskowitz The two men accused of killing Hoover High School student Raul Aguirre will be tried again next week, following a plea-bargain rejection by one of the men earlier this week. Both defendants had to accept the plea-bargain deal to prevent a retrial. Karen Terteryan was willing to accept the plea bargain, which was an offer of 23 years and eight months in prison, officials said. Rafael Gevorgyan, who was offered 16 years in prison through the plea bargain, said no to the deal.
NEWS
April 8, 2003
Darleene Barrientos A last-minute move by the Court of Appeals to consider a challenge to the legality of a search warrant has delayed the trial of Raul Aguirre's accused killers by at least another month. Karen Terteryan, 20, Rafael Gevorgyan, 18, and Anait Msryan, 16, were scheduled to appear in court Monday for jury selection. Terteryan and Gevorgyan are accused of beating 17-year-old Aguirre with a tire iron in front of Toll Middle School and stabbing him in the heart in May 2000.
LOCAL
By Jeremy Oberstein | February 23, 2008
LOS ANGELES — Juan Manuel Alvarez, who is charged with 11 counts of murder with special circumstances for allegedly causing the worst wreck in Metrolink history, refused to appear in court Friday for a hearing. “We don’t know why he’s not here,” attorney Michael Belter said of his client. “He reports to us that he has had some problems upon his return. His cell has been tossed, sometimes his blankets have been soaked. In his mind, he feels it’s better for him to stay in his cell.
NEWS
February 4, 2003
Ben Godar Opening arguments are expected as soon as today in a lawsuit by four female Glendale Police officers claiming they were the victims of sexual harassment and retaliation within the department. The lawsuit, originally filed in December 2001, accuses several male coworkers of making unwanted sexual advances and threats, and in one instance committing rape. While the case initially named seven individuals, it is now against only the city of Glendale.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Joe Piasecki, joe.piasecki@latimes.com | June 20, 2011
A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Monday took the unusual step of allowing attorneys to give brief opening statements to prospective jurors in the murder trial for the runaway-truck crash that killed two people in 2009 on Angeles Crest Highway. Attorneys typically don't present arguments in court until after a jury is chosen, but Superior Court Judge Darrell Mavis told the group of 79 prospective jurors assembled in his Pasadena courtroom on Monday that brief pre-opening statements would be allowed to quickly orientate them to the case and root out any potential conflicts or hardships.
Advertisement
LOCAL
By Veronica Rocha | January 6, 2010
GLENDALE — A Glendale police sergeant has dropped his lawsuit against the city for alleged retaliation and discrimination because of his race and a physical injury, court officials said. Sgt. Vahak Mardikian had filed a lawsuit in 2007 alleging he was denied several promotions and the right to return to work as a full-duty officer after a knee injury because he is Armenian. Jury selection was originally scheduled to start Tuesday, but he filed for dismissal of the lawsuit Friday.
LOCAL
July 11, 2008
Jury selection continues in trial Jury selection will continue today in the case against a Glendale man accused of molesting three girls. Attorneys interviewed jurors on Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and are expected to continue today Donald Allen, 52, is charged with 12 felony counts of lewd acts upon a child and three felony counts of continuous sexual abuse. He is booked on $1.5-million bail at a Los Angeles County jail. Allen was arrested Oct. 23 after an anonymous tip led Glendale police to the three alleged victims, who are related to him. The girls were 6 to 13 years old at the time, police said.
LOCAL
By Jeremy Oberstein | April 17, 2008
LOS ANGELES — Nine men, three women and six alternates were chosen to serve on a jury that will decide the fate of Juan Manuel Alvarez, whose capital murder trial is expected to begin April 28. Alvarez faces 11 counts of murder with special circumstances and one count each of train wrecking and arson in connection with a January 2005 collision that left 11 dead and more than 180 injured. In the early morning hours of Jan. 26, 2005, Alvarez parked his Jeep Cherokee on Metrolink train tracks that straddle the border of Glendale and Los Angeles in what his attorneys claim was an attempt at ending his life.
LOCAL
By Jeremy Oberstein | April 15, 2008
LOS ANGELES — Nearly 50 potential jurors were dismissed Monday as the trial nears for Juan Manuel Alvarez, who faces capital murder charges for the 2005 Metrolink derailment that killed 11 and injured nearly 200 others. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William R. Pounders excused many would-be jurors, citing answers they gave on a questionnaire as potential conflicts of interest. The 23-page questionnaire was meant to elicit individuals’ opinions of the death penalty, knowledge of the case or other factors that might have complicated their ability to impartially render a verdict.
NEWS
By Jeremy Oberstein | March 25, 2008
LOS ANGELES ? The first batch of what will be nearly 400 residents was called to the Criminal Courts Building in Downtown Los Angeles on Monday as attorneys began the laborious process of finding 16 jurors for the death penalty trial of Juan Manual Alvarez, who is accused of causing the 2005 train wreck that left 11 dead and nearly 200 injured. Alvarez, a Compton resident who was born in Mexico, is charged with 11 counts of murder, one count of arson and one count of train wrecking in connection with the Jan. 26, 2005, crash that occurred when a Metrolink train crashed into his Jeep Cherokee that was left on the tracks.
LOCAL
By Jeremy Oberstein | February 23, 2008
LOS ANGELES — Juan Manuel Alvarez, who is charged with 11 counts of murder with special circumstances for allegedly causing the worst wreck in Metrolink history, refused to appear in court Friday for a hearing. “We don’t know why he’s not here,” attorney Michael Belter said of his client. “He reports to us that he has had some problems upon his return. His cell has been tossed, sometimes his blankets have been soaked. In his mind, he feels it’s better for him to stay in his cell.
LOCAL
By Ryan Vaillancourt | December 15, 2007
LOS ANGELES — A judge presiding over the criminal trial of Juan Manuel Alvarez — who is accused of causing the Jan. 26, 2005, Metrolink train wreck in Glendale that killed 11 people — agreed Friday to summon hundreds of jurors for pre-screening because publicity of the accident likely led many to form opinions. After Judge William R. Pounders suggested summoning 300 jurors, Alvarez’s attorneys, Michael Belter and Tom Kielty, who flanked the defendant at a pretrial hearing Friday, requested at least 400. “Given the publicity of the case, [300]
Glendale News-Press Articles Glendale News-Press Articles
|