November 1, 2002
Karen S. Kim Whether a proposed rent-control charter amendment would hold up under the scrutiny of a judge is a question being asked by those for and against the measure. The proposed initiative calls for a 3% annual cap on residential and commercial rents. But according to state law, regulating rents on commercial properties is expressly forbidden, opponents of rent control contend. "Were this to pass, there would certainly be a court challenge," Glendale attorney Pat Liddell said Thursday.
December 5, 2008
A proposed initiative to put the issue of rent control on the city ballot has reached the city attorney, the council was informed Tuesday. City attorney Scott Howard said the notice of a proposed initiative was “defective,” and the sponsor, Rita Younikian, will be so informed in a letter from his office. “The defects can be corrected,” he said. Younikian has become a familiar figure before council, advocating rent control for low income and elderly residents.
November 30, 2002
Karen S. Kim For the first time since rent control became a heated topic between property owners and tenants, the City Council will consider taking an official stance on the issue. The council will discuss rent control at its meeting Tuesday. Councilman Bob Yousefian, who did not return calls for comment Friday, had asked the council discuss the issue publicly and possibly pass a resolution stating its opposition to rent control. But Councilman Dave Weaver said holding such a discussion is premature on the council's part.
December 3, 2002
Karen S. Kim In the race to get competing rent-control charter amendments on the ballot, local property owners are running hard toward the finish line while tenants have yet to put on their sneakers. Property Owners for Property Rights Protection -- which includes the Glendale Chamber of Commerce, Glendale Assn. of Realtors and Foothill Apartment Assn. -- has aggressively hit the streets over the past few weeks, collecting well over 25% of the signatures required to put an anti-rent-control measure to voters.
May 26, 2003
I've been following the debates regarding the rent-control initiative, and I have some thoughts and suggestions for my fellow Glendalians, who will eventually vote for or against this initiative. These voters, of course, will most likely be the 20% of our citizens who care about our city. The remaining 80% just don't give a damn. They'll be too busy watching the new dating show on TV. First, let me say that I am neither a landlord nor a tenant. I am a member of the 31% of Glendalians who are homeowners.
July 3, 2003
Mr. Carlson's recent commentary (June 10) on the perceived benefits of rent control would be almost humorous if it wasn't so blatantly biased and misleading in all of its content. Mr. Carlson blames declining business in Glendale strictly on rent, never pointing out that it seems that the non-rent controlled areas such as Burbank and Pasadena have been expanding at a far faster rate, while you look at rent-controlled areas such as Eagle Rock or Highland Park that have abandoned shops, deteriorating housing, etc. There are far more factors that lead to economic downfall than only rent.
February 17, 2003
Given the current shortfall in the California budget, and the subsequent cuts in the city of Glendale's budget, one area that has not been covered is with the current proposal of rent control, there may be a massive burden on the existing budget. Currently as written, there are no provisions for a rental control board. The rent control advocates state that their proposal is "innovative" in that there are no exemptions and no need for a rent control board.
June 25, 2003
Rent control does nothing regarding slum lords. With or without rent control, slum lords will exist. It will not ease overcrowding of apartments. From time to time, the News-Press publishes an owner's name and rental address where the water bills have not been paid in several months and are so far overdue that the city has issued cut-off dates. Rent control does not address several issues. It will address one issue only -- the cost of rent per unit.